“To increase the number of culturally responsible Black Engineers who excel academically, succeed professionally and positively impact the community.”
The National Society of Black Engineers – Charlotte Professionals (NSBE CP) is a 503(C) (3) non-profit association represented by technical and professional members throughout the Charlotte Metropolitan area. NSBE CP dedicates itself to increasing participation of African-Americans and other underrepresented groups in the fields of engineering and technology from pre-college to professional. NSBE CP works to ensure that students and professionals at all levels develop the skills necessary to excel academically, succeed professionally, and positively impact their communities.
Over the years, NSBE has grown into an international network of chapters (pre-college, collegiate, and professional) that are coordinated through six regional zones and governed by a National Executive Board. A professional staff provides program and administrative to all six regions.
NSBE had its genesis in 1975 at national conference composed of African-American engineering students throughout North America who wanted to promote the recruitment, retention and successful graduation of blacks in engineering. They recognized then, as we still do today, that there are barriers to minority participation and success in the engineering fields. Without strident, proactive and unified efforts, these barriers cannot be overcome. NSBE works in a myriad of ways to that these efforts are carried out.
NSBE CP Objectives
- Encourage and advise minority youth in their pursuit of an engineering career.
- Stimulate and develop student interest in the various engineering disciplines.
- Strive to increase the number of Black students studying engineering at both undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Develop the technical and professional skills of our members.
- Encourage members to seek advanced degrees in engineering or related fields and to obtain/maintain professional engineering certification.
- Promote public awareness of engineering and the opportunities for Blacks and other minorities in the profession.
- To offer a rewarding experience for current and potential members through opportunities to contribute toward the NSBE mission.
- To improve college recruitment, retention, graduation, and the ultimate success of professional engineers by establishing strategic alliances among people of African descent.